* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* DTTUSA Store

Get your DTTUSA SWAG here. All proceeds go toward keeping this site online. Go NOW!

Sponsors

* Recent Posts/Topics

Hello All by PhillyTy73
[July 13, 2019, 04:27:42 pm]

Re: Greetings & a unique situation by marcfranc
[July 12, 2019, 06:32:46 am]

Re: After the cita... by D-mo
[July 08, 2019, 07:41:37 pm]

Re: Stuck on issue by D-mo
[July 08, 2019, 07:39:46 pm]

Re: NOA 2 received approved, case sent to NVC by D-mo
[July 08, 2019, 07:36:47 pm]

* Top Topics

* Calendar Information

* Calendar

July 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 [20]
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

* Most Appreciated Members

D-mo D-mo
TuBabyTierna TuBabyTierna
mexicana mexicana
marcfranc marcfranc
Twincactus Twincactus

* Latest Poll

• Do you like you spouse to be jealous?
  • Dot yes
  • 6 (14%)
  • Dot a little bit
  • 21 (50%)
  • Dot no
  • 15 (35%)
  • Total Members Voted: 42
  • View Topic

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Traveling With Dogs?  (Read 3254 times)

Offline Jenny429

• Concon
    • View Profile
  • Location of my SO: SFM
  • Visa Type: CR-1
Traveling With Dogs?
« on: October 26, 2013, 10:46:58 pm »
So lovely, my dog who we have had locked up for 2 weeks because she was in heat somehow got out and guess what? Yeah her belly is bulging.. My fear now is that I won't make it home before they come, and now I'm going to have to wait 8 weeks after before I leave with her.. or leave HER.. (Ain't happening).. Anyone familiar with traveling with dogs, and since the babies will be too little for shots, can I still bring them?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 01:08:25 am by Twincactus »
<3 Jenny <3
6/9/2011 - Met Francisco while living in the DR became wonderful friends..
2/14/2013 - Married Francisco
9/5/2013 Deposited I-130 via DCF
10/2/2013 Received NOA2
10/28/2013 - Visa Approved
11/1/2013 - Visa Delivered
11/9/2013 - Arrived in NY
9/21/2016 - Greencard without conditions arrived!
Studying for Citizenship now.. :)

Bring Your Dominican Family to the USA - Dominicans to the USA

Traveling With Dogs?
« on: October 26, 2013, 10:46:58 pm »

Offline D-mo

• Global Moderator
  • Mamajuana
    • View Profile
Re: Traveling With Dog's?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 08:51:36 am »
So lovely, my dog who we have had locked up for 2 weeks because she was in heat somehow got out and guess what? Yeah her belly is bulging.. My fear now is that I won't make it home before they come, and now I'm going to have to wait 8 weeks after before I leave with her.. or leave HER.. (Ain't happening).. Anyone familiar with traveling with dogs, and since the babies will be too little for shots, can I still bring them?

You got a problem here! First, how big is your dog? Second, this is expensive!

D-mo
"You can't fix stupid"  Ron White

Offline Jenny429

• Concon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 09:28:31 am »
They are just chihuahua's.. I know it's $100 bucks a dog or $125 depending on the airline.. and they have to have their shots.. but can you imagine if she had 2 week old puppies with her? Would they really charge me $100 each one.. lol

<3 Jenny <3
10/2/2013 Received NOA2

Offline siemprefresca

• Presidente
  • god paid the price in the cruz,jesusonly
    • View Profile
  • Location of my SO: dominicanrepublic
  • Visa Type: R1
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 10:09:55 am »
 WHAT KIND OF SHOT DO THEY NEED, MY STEP DAUGERT,HAVE  CHIGUAGUA,NO2,WENT THEY COME WE WILL BRING THE DOG TOO
MET MY SO=3.2010.
travel 3 times a years
File130 SEPT 2012
 NOA 1
RFE,12.2013
SEND RFE.01.2013
NOA2=MARCH 2013
APRIL;AOS.VISA LETTER
HOLD PAPER,ISSUE IN MARRIED CERTIFICATED
JULY 2013.PAY,AOS, VISA FEE
AGUST 2013 SEND DOCUMENTS
SEPT 15 2013, GOT E MAIL CASE COMPLETE WAING FOR CITA.......oct,5,e mail letter of imterwiew,nov 6  visa aprroved,,,10 13 ,13,they called visa ready,10,14,13 visa pick up at  domex office sdq,,,arrived at usa 01,28,2014,,,,,,,socialsecurity.10 days after,,,,,,,green card ,50 days te arrived...

Offline D-mo

• Global Moderator
  • Mamajuana
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 10:13:56 am »
I have the info, I will post it shortly. Gotta run right now

D-mo

Offline D-mo

• Global Moderator
  • Mamajuana
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 07:28:36 pm »
Ok, small dogs that can fit in one of those pet purses is usually not an issue, but it IS costly. To get the dog on the plane WITH YOU, you will typically have to give up your personal item (such as purse) which could go into your carry on bag.

You have to go to a Government certified vet and get a travel letter for the dog or dogs. The cost is usually about 1000 pesos for that letter. PLUS, all the shots have to be up to date. THEN, you have to go to the airport WAY early and take the pet to another office there AT the airport and pay another fee.. about 500 pesos or so to have them inspect the dog and sign the travel letter.

A dog with puppies, all the available age appropriate shots must be given before travel and you have to have a travel letter for them also. Upon arrival in the states the dogs will likely be quarantined, usually in your home for x amount of time. Dogs without all of the appropriate shots will have to be given and you will probably have to take the records to your local animal control to show it has been done before quarantine can be lifted or the dogs could be confiscated.

Also, if all pets fit in one pet purse, you might get away with ONE airline charge. If there is MORE than 1 pet purse, you'll be paying for each one and one person can only have one bag as it is considered your personal item.

Any pets the airline tells you must be stored with the luggage.... DON'T DO IT! OR, they may not even let you take them as oxygen is not supplied in the luggage area. If the plane goes over about 30k feet the pets will suffocate.

I think this about covers it.

D-mo

Offline Jenny429

• Concon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 09:38:45 pm »
Now I am scared out of my mind... Online Jetblue only says they need to have their shot records.. and I pay 100 bucks at the airport.. Thank you for this indepth explination.  Time to head to the airport and ask what they are going to make me do or you think this goes for all airlines in the DR? (Flying out of Santiago)?

Thank you so much!!

Jen
<3 Jenny <3
10/2/2013 Received NOA2

Offline marcfranc

• Habichuela con Dulce
    • View Profile
Re: Traveling With Dogs?
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 05:54:14 am »
I saw some people traveling with pets. Jetblue out of STI (Santiago). All I know is that they were in pet carriers (or those purse things) and they had to fit under the seat and they were not allowed out of the carrier (purse) during the flight.

Offline koukela

• Concon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 06:26:35 am »
When I would go to DR with my chihuahua, I had to have a document filled out and signed by a vet from the US stating all the shots that she had.I had her in a container under my seat and would pay $75.00 each way back then.
Once the plane was in the air, I would put her in the seat next to me, not allowing anyone to see. She would sit still sleeping.
I paid extra and she was not considered a part of my carryons, as she had a separate ticket.When I got to DR, I would have to go to a special area with her where they would stamp a paper and give it to me, allowing her to come into the country.And I would have to pay them, I don't remember how much.
When I left with her, I would go back to that department at the airport, and pay them again and have them stamp the paper so that I could leave with her.
I would have reservations for her beforehand, as they only allow 2 pets in the whole cabin of the plane, and first come first serve.

In DR, my children fell in love with a chihuahua there.They went and got all her shots from a licensed vet according to her age.They made reservations for her on the plane and bought a bag(like a pocketbook with vents all around), in the capital for $25.00 dollars. At the airport, they showed the department for animals the vets papers, and they paid them, and stamped the papers.The USA didnt say or charge them anything, but they did need to see the papers from the vet stamped. She was never left under quarantine for anything.

The only thing is when you plan to travel with a pet pay  before you get to the airport.You wouldn't want to get to the airport and there is already 2 pets in the cabin.(there is a limit of 2). They did pay $100.00

Get a pocketbook bag with vents as its cheaper and easier to handle.You will put it under your seat in front on the plane.

No matter the age, you have to pay per dog on the plane.Personally, I would get papers for all of them, but pay on the plane for 1.The airlines never looks in the cage, or bag.

good luck

Offline D-mo

• Global Moderator
  • Mamajuana
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 09:31:29 am »
I had to fly AA most of the time due to lack of choices.

AA charged 100 bucks and yes, only 2 pets were allowed in the airplane cabin and you could NOT pay ahead of time for the pet. This was first come first serve with AA and you paid at the ticketing counter. It didn't matter if you already had a ticket for yourself or not.

Most everything you go through with letters and fees is to get the dog OUT of D.R. The one BIG fee is the travel fee from the airline.

You'll pay 1000 pesos for the vet letter as I said, and you will pay again at the airport to have that letter signed/stamped.

A dog coming from the U.S. and back would not likely be quarantined... A dog out of D.R. coming to the U.S. usually IS. It's not like they take the dog and put it in a kennel... they request that you keep the dog IN YOUR RESIDENCE for x amount of time if they require quarantine. Our dog couldn't leave our house for 60 days. Of course, who woulda known if we did take it somewhere. Not a big issue!

All in all, I would NEVER do that again! We paid 1000 pesos for our dog in D.R. With all the fees and extra shots we had to get for travel, I quit counting at 300 bucks to leave D.R. with the dog, I dunno how much we spent in total but it was insane! Yea she's cute, I've never seen another chihuahua like her. She is pure bred, she doesn't bark, she doesn't bite and she LOVES to let our daughter abuse her and play, but definitely the money part is not worth it.

D-mo

* Please help!

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 201
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Latest Members

* Board Statistics

• stats Total Members: 2521
  • stats Total Posts: 236873