* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* DTTUSA Store

Get your DTTUSA SWAG here. All proceeds go toward keeping this site online. Go NOW!

Sponsors

* Recent Posts/Topics

Re: Some doubts about DS260 by latino372000
[Yesterday at 05:28:01 pm]

Re: New member with slightly different circumstances by D-mo
[October 11, 2017, 02:14:22 pm]

Re: New member with slightly different circumstances by marcfranc
[October 11, 2017, 07:26:17 am]

New member with slightly different circumstances by jdjones
[October 11, 2017, 06:56:18 am]

Re: Translation of single status affidavit by D-mo
[October 09, 2017, 05:12:49 pm]

* Top Topics

* Calendar Information

* Calendar

October 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

* Most Appreciated Members

TuBabyTierna TuBabyTierna
D-mo D-mo
Twincactus Twincactus
3sheik
mexicana mexicana

* Latest Poll

• Do you like you spouse to be jealous?
  • Dot yes
  • 6 (15%)
  • Dot a little bit
  • 19 (47%)
  • Dot no
  • 15 (37%)
  • Total Members Voted: 40
  • View Topic

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Getting Started on K1 - Lawyers? Services?  (Read 182 times)

Offline pass

• View Profile
  • Location of my SO: Puerto Plata DR
  • Visa Type: K1
Getting Started on K1 - Lawyers? Services?
« on: October 06, 2017, 09:36:20 am »
Hi, I met my fiancee in the DR in April and just returned from my third trip to visit her. I have been looking at the information here and on other sites for about a week. I have the i129f but am having second thoughts about proceeding without help such as a lawyer or a service like rapidvisa. I very much prefer to do as much of this as I can by myself, but here are further thoughts/questions:

- My fiancee in the Dominican has a cousin who married a US guy a few years ago. They used a lawyer to get a K1 visa, and my fiancee based on this limited experience thinks that this model is the correct one to use. My point to her is that regardless of whether a lawyer or another type of service is used, it comes down to correctly providing the information required on the form. Still because she has a certain process in mind it puts some pressure on me to definitively know I am doing the right thing by doing it on my own.
- I have watched videos like the ones rapidvisa.com produces, and I admit they are convincing in how they talk about correctly presenting information to the agency. But in completing just the free portion of their service, it seems like what they do is ask you to enter all your information in their database, which makes it a bit easier I guess, but does not solve issues like translating questions for my fiancee (she knows some English but not much written English). Am I right about this?

Thank you,
John in Connecticut

Bring Your Dominican Family to the USA - Dominicans to the USA

Getting Started on K1 - Lawyers? Services?
« on: October 06, 2017, 09:36:20 am »

Offline D-mo

• Global Moderator
  • Mamajuana
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Started on K1 - Lawyers? Services?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 02:32:26 pm »
Hi, I met my fiancee in the DR in April and just returned from my third trip to visit her. I have been looking at the information here and on other sites for about a week. I have the i129f but am having second thoughts about proceeding without help such as a lawyer or a service like rapidvisa. I very much prefer to do as much of this as I can by myself, but here are further thoughts/questions:

- My fiancee in the Dominican has a cousin who married a US guy a few years ago. They used a lawyer to get a K1 visa, and my fiancee based on this limited experience thinks that this model is the correct one to use. My point to her is that regardless of whether a lawyer or another type of service is used, it comes down to correctly providing the information required on the form. Still because she has a certain process in mind it puts some pressure on me to definitively know I am doing the right thing by doing it on my own.
- I have watched videos like the ones rapidvisa.com produces, and I admit they are convincing in how they talk about correctly presenting information to the agency. But in completing just the free portion of their service, it seems like what they do is ask you to enter all your information in their database, which makes it a bit easier I guess, but does not solve issues like translating questions for my fiancee (she knows some English but not much written English). Am I right about this?

Thank you,
John in Connecticut

Welcome to the site John.

First, if I remember right, one of the requirements of a K-1 is evidence of a TWO year relationship. Second, almost NO ONE does k-1 and there are several reasons for it. The biggest reason is the hassle, followed by the stress and expense. To break this down, the first thing you do is file the I-129f and pay for it along with all the other fees associated with that process. THEN, when and if the visa is approved, from the date your fiance enters the U.S., you and your fiance have 90 days to marry and submit documents to adjust status. So, within 90 days, your hampered with planning and financing a wedding, AND filing more documents and financing those documents, none of which is cheap. AND, the biggest blow is your fiance's inability to do just about anything until status adjustment is complete. They can't attend any school, work, drive or conduct really any type of business during this time....... and it takes quite a bit of time to get through.

Immigrating by itself is stressful enough (by immigrating, I mean picking up and leaving behind everything you know to go somewhere different and basically have to relearn how to live life), but when you add all of the expense and time constraints, it is a recipe for disaster.

All that being said, we tend to discourage K-1 if at all possible. If the reasons above alone aren't enough, add to those reasons one more, and that is the fact that filing a family based (spousal) petition typically has about the same processing time frame as filing a K-1.

Now, Dominicans in D.R. absolutely LOVE to tell each other how the process works with U.S. immigration and how to get it done, and even provide their buddies who claim to be a lawyer to help. But the odd thing about it is the fact that they are all experts on it, yet they are ALL still there, not here! You will have to put your fiance in her place (so to speak) where this process is concerned, they will cost you time and money. They even have the infamous Yadira Morel on a T.V. show dedicated to U.S. immigration spewing her "professional" garbage adding to their confusion. The bottom line is, in most cases, you do not need to pay anyone to help you with anything in this process. I have never looked at any rapidvisa or any other site or spoke to "professionals" regarding immigration. And I have handled probably better than 20 cases for friends and family members since about 2008. You can do all of this yourself. All you are doing is filling in blanks that is for the most part, no different than a job application. I would imagine all of the information you fill in on the "free" part at rapidvisa.com is likely all of the information needed to fill in an I-129f or an I-130. You likely already have mostly everything you need if you filled in that information. Also, pretty much every document you fill out has an instruction pdf you can read that tells you exactly step by step what to do on the USCIS web site.

Honestly, if I were you and you are secure and certain in your relationship, get married in D.R. first and then file for spousal visa. In the end, you will both be less stressed, have more $ saved and she will be able to do whatever she needs to do almost first day off the plane.

D-mo
"You can't fix stupid"  Ron White

Offline marcfranc

• Habichuela con Dulce
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Started on K1 - Lawyers? Services?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 06:35:09 am »

First, if I remember right, one of the requirements of a K-1 is evidence of a TWO year relationship.

The actual requirement is having met in person within the last two years, not having a two year relationship........

Anyways, as D-Mo said K-1 visas (television shows aside i.e. 90 day fiancé which is a load of crap) are for the birds. They take about the same amount of time (maybe a K-1 might be a little bit faster) but everything about it stinks and they have a much higher denial rate then spousal visa, especially from high fraud rate countries which DR is one of. After getting here it's hurry up and get married, spend more money, more stress, and then you have to under go the entire immigration process AGAIN. This is called AOS (Adjustment of Status). This costs over a thousand dollars MORE after you spent thousands more on the K-1, the wedding and honeymoon. Then as D-Mo said, they are STUCK doing NOTHING until the AOS is complete. No working, no going to school, no driving, no nada for about four to six months. The only thing K-1 is good for is if you REALLY aren't sure if you want to get married and are looking for a possible "ESCAPE" route, but if this is the case you really shouldn't be bringing them over in the first place. Take from me, this type of relationships have no room for "maybes". There is too much involved time wise, emotionally, and financially. One of the documents you sign is a affidavit saying you will support this person no matter what, even if they cheat on you, even if they leave you, even if they lied to you, and even if you get divorced. There are very limited ways to get out of supporting them, and I do mean VERY limited ways.

As for do you need a lawyer, Rapid Visa, or some other service, that is up to you but believe it or not they are MORE likely to make a mistake then you are. They just get the forms and ask you the same questions that are on the forms and then fill in the blanks. You can do that yourself and save all that money on top of all the other money that you are spending. Print out both the forms AND the instructions and READ everything CAREFULLY. Read each question over and over again. DO NOT LEAVE ANY BLANK SPACES ON THE FORM! If it doesn't apply to you write "N/A" or "NONE". And then view the form two or three times before you send it out. Make photocopies of everything that you send. It really isn't anything more then gathering information, documents , and answering questions (Date of birth etc.).

Good Luck!

:disco:

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 06:45:38 am by marcfranc »

* Please help!

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 19
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Latest Members

* Board Statistics

• stats Total Members: 2429