* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* DTTUSA Store

Get your DTTUSA SWAG here. All proceeds go toward keeping this site online. Go NOW!

Sponsors

* Recent Posts/Topics

Re: Tirso & Alana by marcfranc
[Yesterday at 06:10:27 am]

Re: Hello from the Dominican Republic by Aenfonai
[Yesterday at 01:12:35 am]

Re: cita 27 de septiembre by Aenfonai
[Yesterday at 01:12:26 am]

Re: Tirso & Alana by D-mo
[August 13, 2018, 04:59:24 pm]

Tirso & Alana by Q-Ban Sugar King
[August 13, 2018, 10:48:22 am]

* Top Topics

* Calendar Information

* Calendar

August 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

* Most Appreciated Members

D-mo D-mo
TuBabyTierna TuBabyTierna
mexicana mexicana
marcfranc marcfranc
Twincactus Twincactus

* Latest Poll

• Do you like you spouse to be jealous?
  • Dot yes
  • 6 (14%)
  • Dot a little bit
  • 21 (50%)
  • Dot no
  • 15 (35%)
  • Total Members Voted: 42
  • View Topic

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Evidence of a Bona Fide relationship at the I-130 filing level  (Read 552 times)

Offline gringoinparadise

• View Profile
  • Location of my SO: Santiago DR
  • Visa Type: CR1
I see in some checklists that we need to send evidence of a bona fide relationship with the I-130, but not in every checklist. Without her being in the US, it's difficult to add her to my bank accounts, and hard for her to add me in DR. If it's important, then I will ask to try and add myself to her account in DR.

There might be a document in the DR related to car insurance, as I am getting car insurance through her. But the water and light bill only have her name. I have her on one of my credit cards but just as an authorized user, not a joint account.

We have a shared lease in DR, and we are planning to bring a mountain of details to the interview meeting. We have been living together in DR for a year, and have plenty of photos and Whatsapp messages that go along with sharing a life together. But, that's way too much to mail in with the I-130.

At the I-130 level, what did you use to establish a bona fide relationship?
Our marraige was roughly one month before I'm mailing the I-130 file. We decided to get married rather than file for a fiance visa, and we would like to start the visa now so in a year we can move to the US, but I am worried that filing the paperwork a month after the wedding looks suspicious.

Bring Your Dominican Family to the USA - Dominicans to the USA

Offline marcfranc

• Habichuela con Dulce
    • View Profile
Re: Evidence of a Bona Fide relationship at the I-130 filing level
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 06:16:15 am »
No, filing a petition a month after your wedding doesn't look suspicious. Some folks file before the ink is dry on their wedding certificate.

People believe that they can just send in the bare minimum with their petition and then bring in that "other stuff" at the interview.
Wrong answer. Nine times out of ten they have already made up their minds way before the interview takes place. The interview just "seals the deal".

Sending evidence in with the petition is what is referred to as "front loading" your petition and it works. You should send in anything that supports your bonifide relationship, such as photos, copy of plane tickets, hotel receipts, stamps in your passport, phone records, messenger logs (you don't need to send everything just a few random samples throughout your relationship), copies of Western Union (or other companies) receipts showing that you support her, joint accounts (I had no problem opening a joint account in DR, no luck in the U.S.), copies of joint leases or property, health insurance, her being beneficiary on your 401k plan, life insurance etc.

Good Luck!

:disco:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 06:23:17 am by marcfranc »

Offline D-mo

• Global Moderator
  • Mamajuana
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 05:05:34 pm »
No, filing a petition a month after your wedding doesn't look suspicious. Some folks file before the ink is dry on their wedding certificate.

People believe that they can just send in the bare minimum with their petition and then bring in that "other stuff" at the interview.
Wrong answer. Nine times out of ten they have already made up their minds way before the interview takes place. The interview just "seals the deal".

Sending evidence in with the petition is what is referred to as "front loading" your petition and it works. You should send in anything that supports your bonifide relationship, such as photos, copy of plane tickets, hotel receipts, stamps in your passport, phone records, messenger logs (you don't need to send everything just a few random samples throughout your relationship), copies of Western Union (or other companies) receipts showing that you support her, joint accounts (I had no problem opening a joint account in DR, no luck in the U.S.), copies of joint leases or property, health insurance, her being beneficiary on your 401k plan, life insurance etc.

Good Luck!

:disco:

I hate to disagree here. "Front loading" an initial petition with tons of "evidence" is NOT a good idea. The thing to remember here is that with an I-130, you are petitioning for a FAMILY MEMBER! USCIS gives you examples of things you can send in, which can be just about anything that shows proof of a relationship. The most effective evidence is PHOTOS. The more you ADD to a petition, the longer it takes to adjudicate at the USCIS and NVC levels. They have to look through every piece of scrap you send in and document it.

If you work in an office setting and you see a stack of files to work on, what file are you gonna grab to work on? The skinny 20 page neatly packaged folder, or the 3 mile wide folder with papers hanging out of all sides from being tossed from desk to desk? The I-130 instructions even tells you , DO NOT overload your petition!! All you're trying to do at that point is prove there IS a relationship, NOTHING more. It IS the CO's determination AT the Embassy if the case is approved a visa or not. It IS true that they usually have a good idea for approval or denial before you even get there, but that is because someone there AT the Embassy has already reviewed the case file!

So for evidence at the start, YES, you want to send in a few items...... like 4 or 5 pictures, maybe add a copy of the lease agreement, maybe insurance, maybe a birthday card. But DO NOT overload the initial petition! All you need is to give is a FEW items to show that an actual relationship exists between the petitioner and beneficiary!

D-mo

"You can't fix stupid"  Ron White

Offline marcfranc

• Habichuela con Dulce
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 06:29:37 am »
Front loading is not overloading. Some people do get a little carried away and shove everything in there (including "intimate" photos if you can believe that!). I was giving examples of what COULD be sent depending on what you have available. Not everyone has everything. Yes, everything should be neat and well organized not a hot mess. I'm a fan of binder clips. I think a CO would much rather look at a file that is well organized and easy to understand (I included a table of contents in mine) then something that is all over the place. Even if it is "thin".I have always believed in the axiom that "it is better to have and not need than to need and not have". It has always served me well. Anyway, to each his own.

:2faws:    :domrep:

Offline D-mo

• Global Moderator
  • Mamajuana
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 05:07:21 pm »
Front loading is not overloading. Some people do get a little carried away and shove everything in there (including "intimate" photos if you can believe that!). I was giving examples of what COULD be sent depending on what you have available. Not everyone has everything. Yes, everything should be neat and well organized not a hot mess. I'm a fan of binder clips. I think a CO would much rather look at a file that is well organized and easy to understand (I included a table of contents in mine) then something that is all over the place. Even if it is "thin".I have always believed in the axiom that "it is better to have and not need than to need and not have". It has always served me well. Anyway, to each his own.

:2faws:    :domrep:

You are correct in that it is better to have it and not need it, than it is to need it and not have it. I preach this  statement constantly. But, it is NOT good to send massive amounts of evidence to the USCIS, they even request that you don't.

D-mo 
"You can't fix stupid"  Ron White

* Please help!

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 142
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Latest Members

* Board Statistics

• stats Total Members: 2474
  • stats Total Posts: 236752