* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* DTTUSA Store

Get your DTTUSA SWAG here. All proceeds go toward keeping this site online. Go NOW!

Sponsors

* Recent Posts/Topics

Re: Tirso & Alana by marcfranc
[August 14, 2018, 06:10:27 am]

Re: Hello from the Dominican Republic by Aenfonai
[August 14, 2018, 01:12:35 am]

Re: cita 27 de septiembre by Aenfonai
[August 14, 2018, 01:12:26 am]

Re: Tirso & Alana by D-mo
[August 13, 2018, 04:59:24 pm]

Tirso & Alana by Q-Ban Sugar King
[August 13, 2018, 10:48:22 am]

* Top Topics

* Calendar Information

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

* Calendar

August 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Most Appreciated Members

D-mo D-mo
TuBabyTierna TuBabyTierna
mexicana mexicana
marcfranc marcfranc
Twincactus Twincactus

* Latest Poll

• Do you like you spouse to be jealous?
  • Dot yes
  • 6 (14%)
  • Dot a little bit
  • 21 (50%)
  • Dot no
  • 15 (35%)
  • Total Members Voted: 42
  • View Topic

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Best way to bring my girl friend who lives in DR to the USA  (Read 642 times)

Offline eddydgomez

• View Profile
  • Location of my SO: Dominican Republic
  • Visa Type: Etc
I am trying to bring my girlfriend who lives in the Dominican Republic to the states. I have no clue what’s so ever where to even start or what to do. I have many questions that I would like to get answers to and get orientated on how and what to do and what not to do. First of all I am 23 years old my girlfriend just turned 24 recently in April. I met her in March 2014 and we did not start dating back then. Turns out that last year around late April 2017 we got in contact and started dating. I Know this is the person I want to be with and would like to marry and have my family with. So I would like to know what would be the most effective and fastest way to get her here to the states. I heard of asking to bring her as my fiancé and marrying her here so what would be the steps to do that ?

Where would I have to go to or who do I call?

If there is a faster way other then bringing her as my fiancé if so what way is that? 

What do I need to prove that we are together? Which I believe I have enough evidence of that but what I’m asking is what specific things?

Is there and an estimate of how much the whole process cost of getting her here?

What is the cheapest way to get her over here ? Would it be cheaper if I marry her here or just go ahead and marry her in DR and then start the process? I have no problem with marrying her in DR if it will cost me less in the long run.

I also have heard that I need proof of how much money I make? Would I need bank statements or tax return?

And if you would like to throw in any helpful tips or extra advice that would help please feel free to do so, Thank you

Bring Your Dominican Family to the USA - Dominicans to the USA

Offline D-mo

• Global Moderator
  • Mamajuana
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to bring my girl friend who lives in DR to the USA
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 10:04:19 am »
I am trying to bring my girlfriend who lives in the Dominican Republic to the states. I have no clue what’s so ever where to even start or what to do. I have many questions that I would like to get answers to and get orientated on how and what to do and what not to do. First of all I am 23 years old my girlfriend just turned 24 recently in April. I met her in March 2014 and we did not start dating back then. Turns out that last year around late April 2017 we got in contact and started dating. I Know this is the person I want to be with and would like to marry and have my family with. So I would like to know what would be the most effective and fastest way to get her here to the states. I heard of asking to bring her as my fiancé and marrying her here so what would be the steps to do that ?

Welcome to our board! First, as a fiance, you have to show proof of an ongoing relationship of at least 2 years to file. Some get through with less, some don't. Also, filing as your fiance is no faster either way, it will take pretty much a year minimum.

Where would I have to go to or who do I call?

All documents needed are at downloadable from the USCIS (U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services) @ www. USCIS.GOV

If there is a faster way other then bringing her as my fiancé if so what way is that?  The only faster way would be if YOU were a legal resident in Dominican Republic. Then you would be able to marry and file a petition using the DCF process (Direct Consular Filing).

What do I need to prove that we are together? Which I believe I have enough evidence of that but what I’m asking is what specific things?

Initially, you don't need much. Some photos of the 2 of you tegether, an a letter stating how you met, when you met and your intent in the relationship, letters, cards or other means of proof.

Is there and an estimate of how much the whole process cost of getting her here?

It doesn't matter if you file a fiance or get married first, be ready to wait a year, give or take a few months.

What is the cheapest way to get her over here ? Would it be cheaper if I marry her here or just go ahead and marry her in DR and then start the process? I have no problem with marrying her in DR if it will cost me less in the long run.

The Cheapest way is by far marrying there and then filing a petition for your spouse. There are numerous reasons it is cheaper AND EASIER this way. 1, A wedding there is WAY cheaper than having a wedding here. 2, Filing as a fiance, you have to complete that process and pay for that. Once here, you have 90 days to get married and file adjustment of status documents and pay for all of that as well. 3, once here as a fiance, there won't be a whole lot she can do independent of YOU until adjustment of status is complete. No driving, no working, no schooling..... pretty much the only thing she'd be able to do is sit home. Adjustment process can take about a year as well. That would be a VERY LONG, Boring, stressful time!

I also have heard that I need proof of how much money I make? Would I need bank statements or tax return?

You must supply an affidavit of Support when petitioning. Your income must be proven to be able to support the poverty guideline (according to the Government) for the household size at 125%

And if you would like to throw in any helpful tips or extra advice that would help please feel free to do so, Thank you

I answered your questions above in red below the questions. I would highly recommend getting married in DR and then filing a petition for your spouse. It is less costly, less stressful and the time frame will be about the same. We can help you along the way with your questions and pointers as every member on this website (check our member list) has gone through the process. Some filed for a fiance, some for spouse and some, including myself through the DCF process. There will be LOTS AND LOTS of Dominicans in DR along the way who will try to tell you the wrong thing to do in this process. Typically the first thing out of their mouths is either hire Yadira Morel, or some other lawyer that they heard had helped their friend's cousin's sister's uncle 30 years ago! They like to think that they are experts in the US immigration process, when the simple fact of the matter is that, if they really knew as much as they THOUGHT they did...... They'd be HERE telling you, not in DR......And this INCLUDES Yadira Morel, the self proclaimed Dominican Immigration expert on TV in DR. Stay away from lawyers, especially Dominican ones! There is NOTHING they can do that you can not do yourself in this process. Probably 90% of our members have successfully gone through this process WITHOUT a lawyer,  5% wish they hadn't hired a lawyer to do this and the other 5% didn't get approved for some nefarious reason.

Don't be afraid to ask questions!

D-mo

"You can't fix stupid"  Ron White

Offline eddydgomez

• View Profile
  • Location of my SO: Dominican Republic
  • Visa Type: Etc
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 12:26:30 pm »
Okay Thank you so much that was of great help. I also see that you wrote that the fastest way would be filing the petition for the DCF but does that mean I have to be residing in DR?

I am currently not residing in the Dominican Republic but I am a Dominican citizen. I am american but have obtained my Dominican  citizenship due to my parents both being Dominican and having lived there myself for sometime a couple years back.

Can I file the petition for DCF by being a citizen of the Dominican Republic? Or is this even possible do I have to be living there for an x amount of time?

And if I can file the petition for DCF does that mean the process is done in the Dominican Republic where I submit that paper work ? Or is everything done here in the states?

I would like to also know the right amount of time before I can  actually start the process meaning after how long of us actually being in a relationship would it be okay to start the process. I’ve known her since 2014 but started dating around April 2017 so from there to now is about 1 year and 1 month. I plan on getting engaged around July and then get married a couple months after maybe October.

And if this helps I am a frequent flyer always going back and forth from Miami to Dominican Republic. 

Offline marcfranc

• Habichuela con Dulce
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 06:16:10 am »
As far as the DCF goes being a citizen of DR doesn't help much. I mean you are trying to get her to the U.S. right? In order to do a DCF you have to be a LEAGAL RESIDENT of DR and living there at least six months.

As for how long you need to be together before you file, there is no hard and fast rule. Common sense will guide you. You have to convince a consular office at the U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo that you have a real bonifide relationship with your partner. From my personal opinion if you have been in a romantic relationship for a year or more you are good to go.

Do-mo hit the nail on the head as far as you other questions go. Easier, faster, cheaper, and far less stress to marry her in DR and file a spousal visa.

Good Luck!!!

:disco:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 06:42:30 am by marcfranc »

Offline D-mo

• Global Moderator
  • Mamajuana
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 04:37:52 pm »
Okay Thank you so much that was of great help. I also see that you wrote that the fastest way would be filing the petition for the DCF but does that mean I have to be residing in DR?

I am currently not residing in the Dominican Republic but I am a Dominican citizen. I am american but have obtained my Dominican  citizenship due to my parents both being Dominican and having lived there myself for sometime a couple years back.

Can I file the petition for DCF by being a citizen of the Dominican Republic? Or is this even possible do I have to be living there for an x amount of time?

And if I can file the petition for DCF does that mean the process is done in the Dominican Republic where I submit that paper work ? Or is everything done here in the states?

I would like to also know the right amount of time before I can  actually start the process meaning after how long of us actually being in a relationship would it be okay to start the process. I’ve known her since 2014 but started dating around April 2017 so from there to now is about 1 year and 1 month. I plan on getting engaged around July and then get married a couple months after maybe October.

And if this helps I am a frequent flyer always going back and forth from Miami to Dominican Republic.

No, even a Dominican Citizen.... or Dual Citizen would have to actually be living (Residing) in DR for at least 6 months or more continuous. Unless you move there for 6 months or so, you don't really qualify. If you did that, it may take another 6 months or so even with DCF now. Back when I did DCF, it took 1 month and 1 day for my wife and I to complete that process. Everything was done and handled directly AT the Embassy. Now, you still file everything at the Embassy like before, but everything comes back to the US to be handled through normal channels. While DCF is still faster than filing from the States, you'd have to ALREADY be living there for it to make much, if any difference in time frame.

D-mo
"You can't fix stupid"  Ron White

* Please help!

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 147
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Latest Members

* Board Statistics

• stats Total Members: 2474
  • stats Total Posts: 236752