* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* DTTUSA Store

Get your DTTUSA SWAG here. All proceeds go toward keeping this site online. Go NOW!

Sponsors

* Recent Posts/Topics

Re: Documentarily Qualified by Manny809
[December 06, 2018, 05:50:29 pm]

Re: Documentarily Qualified by D-mo
[December 06, 2018, 05:09:35 pm]

Re: Documentarily Qualified by Manny809
[December 04, 2018, 03:21:56 am]

Re: Cita for IR2 for stepdaughter by D-mo
[December 03, 2018, 07:21:18 pm]

Re: Documentarily Qualified by D-mo
[December 03, 2018, 07:18:51 pm]

* Top Topics

* Calendar Information

* Calendar

December 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31

* Most Appreciated Members

D-mo D-mo
TuBabyTierna TuBabyTierna
mexicana mexicana
marcfranc marcfranc
Twincactus Twincactus

* Latest Poll

• Do you like you spouse to be jealous?
  • Dot yes
  • 6 (14%)
  • Dot a little bit
  • 21 (50%)
  • Dot no
  • 15 (35%)
  • Total Members Voted: 42
  • View Topic

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: K1 question  (Read 846 times)

Offline Zero3012

• View Profile
  • Location of my SO: Dominican Republic
  • Visa Type: none
K1 question
« on: November 08, 2018, 10:56:44 pm »
I have a question regarding the K1. I want to know if I would be eligible to file for the K1 Visa. I have met a nice woman who I met during my yearly trip to the Dominican Republic to visit my family on May 2018. I like that I had to speak with her parents in order to have their approval for dating their daughter and becoming my girlfriend. I want to bring her here to the USA. We talk everyday through WhatsApp, and I even made another trip to the Dominican Republic recently in October 2018 just to be with her. I am also a US Citizen.

Proof wise I have all my conversations with her saved on my whatsapp from May-recent, I have sent her some money through Western Union so I have the online receipts saved, and I have added money to her cellphone through the mobile Top-Up. We both have no kids.

I was wondering if I would be eligible file for the K1 Visa and have a chance of being successful in bringing her here to New Jersey and marrying her and start off our small family? or should I just make another trip to the Dominican Republic just to marry her?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 10:59:20 pm by Zero3012 »

Bring Your Dominican Family to the USA - Dominicans to the USA

K1 question
« on: November 08, 2018, 10:56:44 pm »

Offline marcfranc

• Habichuela con Dulce
    • View Profile
Re: K1 question
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 07:29:39 am »
As long as you are both legally free to marry, are of legal marriage age, and have met in person within the last two years you may file a K-1 visa petition.

My personal opinion is that it's better to marry in the DR and file for a spousal visa.

BTW, I am also from New Jersey.

Good Luck!

:disco:

Offline Zero3012

• View Profile
  • Location of my SO: Dominican Republic
  • Visa Type: none
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 09:54:57 am »
Thanks. Also I've been trying to do some research to see if there's any type of advisor or lawyer services that would be able to guide and prepare me for this process? Of course I know that this can be done without the need of one, but I would rather have everything done correctly.

Offline marcfranc

• Habichuela con Dulce
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 11:30:44 am »
Yes you can. A lawyer is more expensive than a "service".  Rapid Visa is an example of a service. You can expect to pay around a thousand dollars for a service. A lawyer can charge several thousands.

Seriously, unless you have a complicated case, it is better to do it yourself and save your money. The immigration process is expensive enough. All the lawyer and services do is fill in the blank spaces on the forms. The forms are available for free on the USCIS website. All the information and documentation has to come from you. As for lawyers, they just have their staff fill out the forms. You are lucky if they even read them over before they send them out. Now days, most of the forms are online anyway. You just fill in the blanks on the computer.

Actually, lawyers and services are more likely to make an error. Or, to just have your petition lying around on their desks until they get around to it. You are nothing more then one in the pile. And of course, the more "problems" you have the more that they can charge you to "fix" them. Know what I mean? Wink Wink. Nod Nod.

The paperwork is pretty simple in itself. Just organize yourself and read the instructions carefully. Go over everything two or three times before you send it out. You should be ok. Remember, your case is important to YOU, to somebody else it's just another day at the office and they will get to it when they get to it. You are much more likely to be careful and do things correctly then the paid help.

Offline D-mo

• Global Moderator
  • Mamajuana
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 05:22:57 pm »
Welcome!

As marc has pointed out, you are perfectly able to submit for a K-1,............. but we don't recommend it. the processing for a K-1 and a CR-1 will be pretty much the same time wise. Money wise, you would be much better off with a CR-1 as well.

As far as a lawyer or service goes, I highly discourage this! Everything that has to be submitted is information that comes from YOU anyway. No one will take care of YOUR case, better than you. To a lawyer, you are just a money machine.

D-mo
"You can't fix stupid"  Ron White

* Please help!

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 679
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Latest Members

* Board Statistics

• stats Total Members: 2486
  • stats Total Posts: 236805