* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* DTTUSA Store

Get your DTTUSA SWAG here. All proceeds go toward keeping this site online. Go NOW!

Sponsors

* Recent Posts/Topics

Re: Filed form I 130 now what by Schatzie10
[May 19, 2019, 04:38:56 pm]

Re: Bringing my Spouse and stepdaughter by D-mo
[May 18, 2019, 01:23:31 pm]

Re: Filed form I 130 now what by D-mo
[May 18, 2019, 01:00:14 pm]

Re: Petitioner died while Visa interview is scheduled by D-mo
[May 18, 2019, 12:57:14 pm]

Re: Petitioner died while Visa interview is scheduled by armando123
[May 08, 2019, 08:42:07 am]

* Top Topics

* Calendar Information

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

* Calendar

June 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

No calendar events were found.

* Most Appreciated Members

D-mo D-mo
TuBabyTierna TuBabyTierna
mexicana mexicana
marcfranc marcfranc
Twincactus Twincactus

* Latest Poll

• Do you like you spouse to be jealous?
  • Dot yes
  • 6 (14%)
  • Dot a little bit
  • 21 (50%)
  • Dot no
  • 15 (35%)
  • Total Members Voted: 42
  • View Topic

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Getting married on a B1/B2 visa - need guidance  (Read 1202 times)

Offline DapperNYC

• View Profile
  • Location of my SO: Toronto (she is DR)
  • Visa Type: None
Getting married on a B1/B2 visa - need guidance
« on: December 19, 2018, 07:57:35 pm »
Hello all,

My girlfriend I love each other very much. We have been together for roughly two years and are intending on getting married but are currently exploring the various options. She is Dominican but was in Canada on a work/study visa for over a year. She has a B1/B2 visa and entered the USA with me in late October (they gave her until late April '19 to leave the USA). We were initially thinking of getting married when she heads back to DR and once the ceremony is held I file the paperwork to bring her back as my spouse when I return to the USA.

I am familiar with the whole 90 day rule, about whether if you get married within the first 90 days immigration will lean toward you having ill intent (basically she came in the USA to get married not for tourist purposes).  What if we decide to get married after the 90 days here in the USA, what paperwork would we need to fill out? how long will things take to process? cost? Can she travel to DR while waiting for the paperwork to go through? Can she work/study? Is this common? I dont want to cause any issues and want to do things legally and thus have these questions.

I had asked  previous questions and the forum was extremely helpful in their responses and how everybody said it will turn out it did.

Sorry for all the questions.

Thank you all fro your help on this matter.

Bring Your Dominican Family to the USA - Dominicans to the USA

Getting married on a B1/B2 visa - need guidance
« on: December 19, 2018, 07:57:35 pm »

Offline D-mo

• Global Moderator
  • Mamajuana
    • View Profile
Re: Getting married on a B1/B2 visa - need guidance
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 07:15:18 pm »
Hello all,

My girlfriend I love each other very much. We have been together for roughly two years and are intending on getting married but are currently exploring the various options. She is Dominican but was in Canada on a work/study visa for over a year. She has a B1/B2 visa and entered the USA with me in late October (they gave her until late April '19 to leave the USA). We were initially thinking of getting married when she heads back to DR and once the ceremony is held I file the paperwork to bring her back as my spouse when I return to the USA.

I am familiar with the whole 90 day rule, about whether if you get married within the first 90 days immigration will lean toward you having ill intent (basically she came in the USA to get married not for tourist purposes).  What if we decide to get married after the 90 days here in the USA, what paperwork would we need to fill out? how long will things take to process? cost? Can she travel to DR while waiting for the paperwork to go through? Can she work/study? Is this common? I dont want to cause any issues and want to do things legally and thus have these questions.

I had asked  previous questions and the forum was extremely helpful in their responses and how everybody said it will turn out it did.

Sorry for all the questions.

Thank you all fro your help on this matter.

Hi, If she is here already and her intent was NOT to come here and find a spouse, you CAN get married here and file the documents to adjust status with a waiver. Is the B1 and work visa? She can't legally work in the US or do much else without a SS number that is work eligible. If memory serves correct, she can file for permission to work while waiting. If they gave her 4/19 as an out date, that is more than 4 months away from now and she has been here almost 3 months already. You'd have to file normally with the I-130 and then send with that the required documents and also submit a waiver application. The costs aren't any different, she will end up with a CR visa with is Conditional Resident for 2 years, then file to lift conditions as that 2 year mark approaches. Travel may not be the best idea while in process.

If you guys leave the U.S. and you marry in DR, she wouldn't be able to come back with you right away. She will likely have to stay there until the process is finished. The time frame that way is about a year +/- a few months.

D-mo

"You can't fix stupid"  Ron White

* Please help!

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 276
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Latest Members

* Board Statistics

• stats Total Members: 2514
  • stats Total Posts: 236863