* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* DTTUSA Store

Get your DTTUSA SWAG here. All proceeds go toward keeping this site online. Go NOW!

Sponsors

* Recent Posts/Topics

Re: Filling out i864 with household member. by D-mo
[July 23, 2019, 08:50:53 pm]

Re: Hello All by D-mo
[July 23, 2019, 08:46:48 pm]

Re: Greetings & a unique situation by D-mo
[July 23, 2019, 08:37:57 pm]

Filling out i864 with household member. by suarezj519
[July 23, 2019, 03:44:48 pm]

Hello All by PhillyTy73
[July 13, 2019, 04:27:42 pm]

* Top Topics

* Calendar Information

* Calendar

August 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

* Most Appreciated Members

D-mo D-mo
TuBabyTierna TuBabyTierna
mexicana mexicana
marcfranc marcfranc
Twincactus Twincactus

* Latest Poll

• Do you like you spouse to be jealous?
  • Dot yes
  • 6 (14%)
  • Dot a little bit
  • 21 (50%)
  • Dot no
  • 15 (35%)
  • Total Members Voted: 42
  • View Topic

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Greetings & a unique situation  (Read 3358 times)

Offline jstarebel

• Presidente
    • View Profile
Greetings & a unique situation
« on: July 22, 2010, 12:44:30 pm »
Good afternoon all, I have used the advice from this forum to get as far as I have, including filling out the along with three copies of everything, translating what is in Spanish, etc. etc. Thank You ALL for your posts.

Unfortunately, I'm in a unique situation and really would love some advice before sending in my paperwork for my wife's CR1. I live and work in the Caribbean travelling island to island doing industrial desalination. I am usually there for 1-2 years before moving on to the next island. I met my wife on Turks & Caicos islands. She was there legally. I have no issue travelling to British, French, or Netherlands islands with my Dominican wife. My only problem is the US islands like St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, and St. Croix. My wife has lived with me for Two years, We were married in POP four months ago, and I find myself needing to return to the US territory long term for work. FYI, we get around the islands by Sailing. Not flying. My question is:

1. When filling out the I-130, they ask her address: They also ask about her being in the US before and how she got there. Their question is quite specific. Whats funny is that they specifically ask if she was a "stow away" and in reality, she is. Right now she has a multiple entry visa for Anguilla as that is where I am coming from and where we are currently living, and could fly back to the DR while this process takes place, or stay on Anguilla. Because we arrive by boat, and have marriage papers along with a history on the customs and immigration computers from signing in different ports, she is simply "Not allowed onshore". So she stays aboard when in US waters.  I guess I'm trying to say that I am having issue with her address on the form.

2. I was reading about cover letters. How do I write a summary explaining our circumstances? In the cover letter?? Somewhere else??
Thanks in advance for your help...

jstarebel

Bring Your Dominican Family to the USA - Dominicans to the USA

Greetings & a unique situation
« on: July 22, 2010, 12:44:30 pm »

Offline D-mo

• Global Moderator
  • Mamajuana
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings & a unique situation
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 01:15:34 pm »
Good afternoon all, I have used the advice from this forum to get as far as I have, including filling out the along with three copies of everything, translating what is in Spanish, etc. etc. Thank You ALL for your posts.

Unfortunately, I'm in a unique situation and really would love some advice before sending in my paperwork for my wife's CR1. I live and work in the Caribbean travelling island to island doing industrial desalination. I am usually there for 1-2 years before moving on to the next island. I met my wife on Turks & Caicos islands. She was there legally. I have no issue travelling to British, French, or Netherlands islands with my Dominican wife. My only problem is the US islands like St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, and St. Croix. My wife has lived with me for Two years, We were married in POP four months ago, and I find myself needing to return to the US territory long term for work. FYI, we get around the islands by Sailing. Not flying. My question is:

1. When filling out the I-130, they ask her address: They also ask about her being in the US before and how she got there. Their question is quite specific. Whats funny is that they specifically ask if she was a "stow away" and in reality, she is. Right now she has a multiple entry visa for Anguilla as that is where I am coming from and where we are currently living, and could fly back to the DR while this process takes place, or stay on Anguilla. Because we arrive by boat, and have marriage papers along with a history on the customs and immigration computers from signing in different ports, she is simply "Not allowed onshore". So she stays aboard when in US waters.  I guess I'm trying to say that I am having issue with her address on the form.

2. I was reading about cover letters. How do I write a summary explaining our circumstances? In the cover letter?? Somewhere else??
Thanks in advance for your help...

jstarebel

Well, she is NOT a "stow away". To be a stow away you would have to not know she was on the boat....in this case you obviously know she is there. If she has never been off your boat and through immigration in a U.S. port, then she has never officially been IN the U.S.

As far as her address goes, give the address where she LEGALLY resides. If her visa is a multiple entry VISITOR'S visa, that isn't considered residence, meaning her legal residence is still DR.

If you want to send a letter explaining your travels and all the circumstances, just send it along with the packet you send in. Your cover page is just an outline of what you are sending in.

D-mo
"You can't fix stupid"  Ron White

Offline brlukath

• Brugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 03:55:33 pm »
actually I had this living on a boat issue before...

with respect to her address, I understand that some boats have them.  i doubt yours is one such boat, but if it is, write that.  if not, for mailing address include it (i.e. where you get mail--there must be some place) and for residence address include either the fact that it is a boat OR (better!!) the address in DR where she resides when she is in DR.  Beware of the mailing address is in the US.  If it is, you will need to include a statement that the wife has never been to the US but receives mail there since she has taken up residence with you on the boat.

All of this might create a little confusion during processing, but it sounds like it will better match up with the story you will be creating with your other evidence--i.e. that you have been living together for X years/months.

as for the stow away point -- I agree with D-mo's conclusion (though the real point is not whether or not you KNEW she was on the boat):  She is not a stowaway, however it is not clear whether there is a problem with being in US waters on the boat.  I vaguely remember something about needing a visa in certain circumstances, but I can't recall if the requirement is waived if you never get off the boat.  This is especially important if you are passing long periods of time in US waters (there is also something about 29 days in the law).  Even more important is whether she ever tried to get off the boat at a US port.  If so, she sought entry to the US without a visa, which is illegal.

Take some time before you send this out.  I don't think that you should have problems BUT don't screw yourself by rushing things.

Offline jstarebel

• Presidente
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 05:44:22 am »
Thank you both very much for your replies, and Thank You D-mo for clarifying the cover letter situation for me.

Jstarebel

Offline D-mo

• Global Moderator
  • Mamajuana
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 08:32:11 am »
Any time!  There are lots of people here that can and will help when questions come up...... and for just about anything, not just immigration stuff.   :rotfl:

D-mo

Offline jstarebel

• Presidente
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 04:27:10 am »
Good morning Fellow DTTUSA members..

I recommend this site to everyone with DR immigration questions, and a guy told me the site was not active as he was asking me a question. So I had to see for myself.. Glad to see he was full of it and that many of the long time posters like Jenny, Marc, and D-mo are still helping others on the board..

Gaby and I are fine. 2017 brought us Hurricanes Irma and Maria, and cause a lot of damage to our Boat. So in April 2018, we moved ashore and are living in the Bahamas where I'm on a new desalination project here. We just celebrated 9 years married, and life is good even though things are different as a dirt dweller..

To the new people, These folks know all you need to know, and do the best they can to help you.. There are many successful marriages with Dominicans. Just go into your relationship with both eyes open as any smart person would normally do..

To all of you veteran posters, I'm please to see you still posting.

Kindest Regards to all,

Jsta_Rebel

Offline marcfranc

• Habichuela con Dulce
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 06:32:46 am »

I recommend this site to everyone with DR immigration questions, and a guy told me the site was not active as he was asking me a question. So I had to see for myself.. Glad to see he was full of it and that many of the long time posters like Jenny, Marc, and D-mo are still helping others on the board..

Gaby and I are fine. 2017 brought us Hurricanes Irma and Maria, and cause a lot of damage to our Boat. So in April 2018, we moved ashore and are living in the Bahamas where I'm on a new desalination project here. We just celebrated 9 years married, and life is good even though things are different as a dirt dweller..

To the new people, These folks know all you need to know, and do the best they can to help you.. There are many successful marriages with Dominicans. Just go into your relationship with both eyes open as any smart person would normally do..

Kindest Regards to all,

Jsta_Rebel

Hello Patrick!!!

:disco:

Offline D-mo

• Global Moderator
  • Mamajuana
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 08:37:57 pm »

Kindest Regards to all,

Jsta_Rebel

Good to see ya Jsta! Glad to know you survived the Hurricanes.

The wife and I were in Nassau and CoCo Cay (Little Stirrup Cay) last month celebrating our 10th Anniversary.

Glad to see all is well with you guys! Keep it up bro. Keep up the Conversation.

D-mo

* Please help!

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 195
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Latest Members

* Board Statistics

• stats Total Members: 2523
  • stats Total Posts: 236877